Thursday, March 25, 2010

Scraps to Fabulous!

So here is the crafty post I promised last night.  I am still obsessed with making decorations for Kielyn's birthday(thank goodness it's Saturday and I am running out of time).  I really wanted to make something cute to add to the cupcake display or put on the present table.  So as I was rooting around in the garage, scouring every corner for something I could paint, I stepped on a scrap piece of the trim that we used around the fireplace.  As I hopped around saying some not so nice things inspiration struck and look what I made!
Love them!  And the best part was that it only took me about 20 minutes to make since they were already painted white.  Here is what I started with.
And here are my project supplies.
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Sanding Sponge
  • Ink
  • Marker Tip thing (found it in the ink aisle)
  • Permanent Tape Runner 
I started by roughing up the edges of the wood trim with the sanding sponge, sanding down to the real wood.  I then took the ink pad and wiped it across the larger areas of the trim, wiping it down in areas that the ink was darker than I wanted it.  I used the marker tip thingie, to get into the smaller areas that I couldn't reach with the ink pad.
 Next I cut my scrapbook paper to fit the middle of the trim.  I took my sanding sponge and sanded the paper, really roughing up the edges but distressing the middle of the paper as well.
 Next I taped the paper onto the trim, you could use Modge Podge and decoupage the paper on, but since I was making this for her birthday party I figured I could peel of the pink paper and reuse the trim with other papers for holidays or something that matches my house.  I used the ink again to ink the edges of the paper, probably would have been easier to do before I taped it on!  Duh!!  The last thing I did was tie some ribbons on and voila it was finished!
I also found another little piece of trim that I made to match the house and embellished with stickers and ribbon.

Tomorrow I have 96 cupcakes to bake and decorate, good thing Gramma has 2 ovens at her house!  I hope everyone has an amazing weekend and I will try to post pictures of the birthday party on Sunday.  Have a great weekend!

Featured at The Boardwalk Blotter 
Tatertots and Jello

11 comments:

Kelsey said...

ooh These are so cute! Great idea! Don't you love using things from around the house!

Good luck on all those cupcakes. My little man's birthday is in a couple weeks- guess I need to get started on that. lol. He's having a puppy birthday!

Hope you have a great birthday party!

Pauline said...

Oh wow, that is an awesome idea:) I hope everything went well with the baking of all those cupcakes. I know what how you feel. I had to make 75 cupcakes for St. Patricks Day. I have to say, it was fun:) I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of the party. Thanks for sharing:)

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

I love this idea and your little "love" sign is adorable.

Miss Obara said...

What a cool idea! Yikes...another thing to add to my list of to do's! These blogs are fantastic!

Chris said...

What an idea!! They turned out too cute!

N @ Cheap Like a Birdie said...

Great idea! They look adorable.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love this idea! I knew there had to be something you could do with all those little scraps of wood! These make for great little accessories and can tuck in anywhere. Very creative!

Anne said...

What a great way to repurpose scrap wood! I love it!

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

Those are really beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration.
Nancy

Lacie @ Creative Attempts said...

super cute what a great idea

One Life Many Journeys said...

You gotta hate it when genius is brought on by pain! I will have to make some of these! Love...love...love!

Related Posts with Thumbnails